Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Can I start over more than 4 times?

Well, I read through some of my really bad posts and decided to start anew.  Since starting this blog back in college my life has restarted several times and I decided to leave that behind.

So, starting over.

Welcome to my new life!  I have 2 cats (Double Stuff and Oreo), 2 step-kids (Child 1 and Child 2), 1 husband (Husband) and a house (The Moneypit).  I have colitis and can't eat a whole bunch of foods, including gluten and most soy products.  Also dairy, but come on, we have to have some fun in life.  I love cooking more than I like most people.

I will be damned if I know how to start this sort of blog, so I will start with the best Gluten-Filled Beignet recipe this world has ever seen.  I will someday make a delicious version of these that is gluten-free, but alas, I have not yet perfected it.


French Market Beignets (Doughnuts)
1 Cup Milk - Scald
2 Tb butter
1Tb Brown Sugar
1 Tb Granulated Sugar
3 Cups Flour
1/2 Tsp Nutmeg
1 Tsp Allspice
1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/2 Tsp Ground Cloves 
(All these spices are variable.  Play with it.  I think my grandfather would be horrified to find I use more than just cloves.)
1 Egg
1 Tsp salt
1 Package Yeast
Oil for frying - doesn't matter, I use peanut, but veggie works too

Directions:
Scald the milk
Put butter and sugar in mixing bowl, dissolve sugar and melt butter.
Cool until lukewarm
Add yeast and stir until dissolved
Sift or stir together dry ingredients 
Gradually add half of the dry mix to milk mixture and thoroughly combine
Add egg and beat well into mix
Stir in the rest of the flour

Cover, set aside to double in bulk (mind you, I leave it in a warn (not hot) oven, and it has NEVER doubled for me, but it still works fine)
Roll out on floured surface to 1/4 inches thick
Slice into diamonds
Cover and let rise in warm place for 1/2 hour to an hour (I never do the full hour unless there is no warm spot available)

Fry in hot oil until light brown on each side
Drain on wire rack or paper towel
Dust with powder sugar!

Eat





No comments: