Sunday, March 05, 2006

A somewhat better start...

Having thought for a good length of time, I had decided to come back and have another go, although still not entirely sure as to what to write. While signing in, I saw the name Neil Gaiman sitting below, as he had recently updated.
Well, at least it gave me a topic.
In my never-ending search for ways to amuse myself, I have been trying to read a book a day as part of my New Year's resolution. For a while, after break, when I was ill for a month, it disappeared and only in the last several weeks have I begun again in earnest. As I do not always have a large amount of time each day, I confess to having read a number of shorter books for a while during exams, and re-reading some that I had read a number of years ago. However, I recently got several new books for my birthday, including a late present last night from my older sister - Neverwhere, by Neil Gaiman, a personal favorite of mine.
Although I had read it before, the last time I did so was when I was perhaps 11, and I honestly could not recall the ending. While Neverwhere follows the usual Gaiman pattern of a person stuck in the middle of a world they do not understand, he writes in such a facsinating manner that one cannot help but find the idea new. The worlds he creates are parallel to ours and are interwoven in such a way that you almost find his created world plausible. They are strikingly similar, yet completely seperate.
A summary of any of Giman's novels could not do proper justice to them, and so I shall not write one. Each book is different, although there are the occasional characters who appear in several, such as the case with American Gods and Anansi Boys. Each book is also very well writen, whether it be American Gods, Neverwhere, Anansi Boys, Stardust or any other one of the Gaiman novels. (Another personal favorite being Good Omens, a collaboration with another favorite author, Terry Pratchett. A much lighter read, as some of Gaiman's work can be quite dark.)
I am going to attempt to re-read his novels in the next several weeks, and am very much looking forward to it. After which I shall endeavor to find some interesting non-fiction, but until then, I will enjoy losing myself in each one of Gaiman's worlds.

No comments: